'Insufficient': Pelosi rejects latest White House aid offer

3

It’s looking far less likely that Congress will pass a new coronavirus aid package in 2020.

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi again rejected a White House compromise offer on a coronavirus aid package, telling fellow Democrats in a letter Saturday that “the Trump proposal is insufficient.”

President Trump on Friday signed off on a $1.8 trillion proposal that White House negotiators hoped would facilitate a deal with Democrats, who control the House.

While the offer proves $200 billion more than a previous package offered by the Trump administration, it’s far short of the $2.4 trillion Pelosi had been asking for in private talks with Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin. It’s also far less than the $2.2 trillion measure that House Democrats passed earlier in September.

Pelosi wrote to Democrats on Saturday that the latest White House offer falls short by $200 billion in federal unemployment insurance. Democrats want the federal government to continue with $600 in weekly supplemental jobless benefits, which the GOP said is too high and discourages people from returning to work.

Pelosi said the latest offer also lacks sufficient funding for day care, earned income tax credits, and child tax credits.

“Despite these unaddressed concerns, I remain hopeful that yesterday’s developments will move us closer to an agreement on a relief package that addresses the health and economic crisis facing America’s families,” she said.

View original post